GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Administrative divisions' geographic area  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
codepoet

Hello,

Is there available a mapping from geonameid to area (in sq km) for the administrative divisions? I know the country table contains area - I am more interested in areas of things like states, counties, and so on. My eventual aim is to have average population density for at least countries and adm1/adm2.

Thanks for running a great site.

Best,
Mike
marc

Mike

For countries it is available in the countryinfo file:
http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/countryInfo.txt

For admin divisions it is not yet available. It would be possible to add it to the admin info files or adding a new column to the main toponym record. The later has the advantage that it would be easy to make the field editable. The disadvantage would be that is requires a change in the table structure (new column) and thus break compatibility of existing load scripts.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
codepoet

Marc, thanks so much for your prompt reply. I understand the complexity and problems with breaking existing scripts. If it exists in some text or csv format, could you post a link or otherwise make available this area data so I can download it and import into my database in a custom table?

Best,
Mike
marc

Mike

I have found something:
download.geonames.org/adm1-area.csv
It is not complete, but maybe helpful nevertheless.

BEst

Marc

[WWW]
codepoet

Marc, thanks! This was exactly what I needed. I have been playing with some shape files so if I generate some area data that isn't in the above CSV I'll post it.
Cheers,
Mike

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: