GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
what are the "feature codes" used in GeoNames?  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions Go to Page: 1, 2 Next 
marc

There are currently 649 feature codes and 9 feature classes.

GeoNames is mostly using the same feature code as the United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA).

In addition to this feature codes geonames.org has introduced some new codes :

P.PPLG : Seat of Government (in contrast to PPLC, Capital)
S.UNIV : University
S.LIBR : Library
L.CONT : Continent
S.OPRA = opera : A theater designed chiefly for the performance of operas.
S.THTR = theater : A building, room, or outdoor structure for the presentation of plays, films, or other dramatic performances
S.REST = restaurant : A place where meals are served to the public
S.MALL = mall : A large, often enclosed shopping complex containing various stores, businesses, and restaurants usually accessible by common passageways.
S.ATM = automatic teller machine,An unattended electronic machine in a public place, connected to a data system and related equipment and activated by a bank customer to obtain cash withdrawals and other banking services.
S.BANK = A business establishment in which money is kept for saving or commercial purposes or is invested, supplied for loans, or exchanged.
L.AMUS = Amusement Park are theme parks, adventure parks offering entertainment, similar to funfairs but with a fix location.

S.BUSTP = Bus Stop,a place lacking station facilities
S.BUSTN = Bus Station,a facility comprising ticket office, platforms, etc. for loading and unloading passengers
S.MTRO = Metro Station (Underground, Tube, or Métro)

T.ISLET = small island, bigger than rock, smaller than island

A list of the available codes is available here as html or as text:
http://www.geonames.org/export/codes.html
http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/featureCodes.txt

A statistic of the codes :
http://www.geonames.org/statistics/total.html

Under consideration :
S.GAS = A filling station, fueling station, gas station or petrol station is a facility which sells fuel and lubricants for motor vehicles. The most common fuels sold are gasoline (petrol) or diesel fuel.
S.PUB = Pub or Bar, an establishment which serves alcoholic drinks especially beer for consumption on the premises
S.CAFE = Café, A coffeehouse, coffee shop, or cafe. focus on providing coffee and tea as well as light snacks. Food choices range from pastries and muffins to soups and sandwiches.
S.SPMKT = Supermarket or Hypermarket. departmentalized self-service store offering a wide variety of food and household merchandise.
S.CINE = Cinema, movie hall.

[WWW]
isa

Hi Marc:
we can add new feature codes to GeoNames?
I would like separate the "concentration camps" from the cities.
For example, a locationid for Dachau as city and another one for "Dachau concentration camp". Now, it's in the same location.
If it isn't good idea to add a new feature code for this, I can use the feature code S.HSTS (historical site), like that the location:
"Bergen-Belsen concentration camp"

Thanks in advance and regards,
Isa
marc

Hi Isa

I personally would prefer the S.HSTS. If you put the term 'concentration camp' in the name or in an alternate name it is also searchable with the search term 'concentration camp' and it is also clear what it is. We could also start to put the tagging functionality of geonames to some use and tag it accordingly.

Marc

[WWW]
isa

Hi again, Marc:
don't worry. I will use the S.HSTS feature.
Excuse my ignorance about this, but exactly how is the tagging functionality?
I have seen that in a location, we can add a tag, but this tag, is a comment?
Where I can see these tags?

Thanks once again.
Isa
marc

Hi Isa

The tags are used to flag a place name. In contrast to the feature codes and feature classes which are one-dimensional (a place name can only have one feature code) several tags can be used for each place name.

It is an additional categorization mechanism where the simple classification with feature codes is not sufficient.

I have tagged a place with the tag 'skiresort'. You can search for tags with the search :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=skiresort
If you only want to search for a tag and not for other occurences of the term (in case you tag something with 'spain' for example), then you add the attribute 'tags:' to the search term :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=tags%3Askiresort

And if you want to search for tags of a particular user (or your own) then you append '@username' to the tag. Like this :
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=tags%3Askiresort%40marc

This tagging stuff is not yet well documented and not yet exported in the dump.

Marc

[WWW]
isa

Hi Marc:
ok, I have understood the tags. It seems me a very good idea.
In a future, will you include them in dump files?

Thanks again,
Isa
marc

Hi Isa

No problem I can add it to the dump. I was just waiting for someone to ask for it. I try to keep geonames and the download section as simple as possible and only add new stuff if users are asking for it.

How should the format of the tag dump look like? Are two columns : geonameId and tag fine with you?

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
isa

Hi Marc:
I understand that in the dump, there will be a new file, not?
With these two columns is ok.
A doubt: one geolocation can have several tags or only one?
Thanks,
Isa
samokk

Just one question concerning the dump...

If the dump is meant to evolve, wouldn't it be easier if it used some XML format, that is both more readable and backward-compatible ?

This is purely a suggestion, the most important thing is that we have the data in whatever format

Sami Dalouche
marc

Hi Isa

There is now a file called userTags.zip in the dump directory containing the tags. A toponym can have an unlimited number of tags, it can also have the same tag more than once if several users have tagged it with the same tag.

Hi Sami

XML certainly has its merits, but is also has drawbacks. It is for example much easier to load a flat tab separated file in a database or open it with a spreadsheet application. Even with the flat file we have a lot of users who don't know how to load it into mysql. I don't want to know how many users would have troubles with an xml file

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
isa

Hi:
Ok, it's perfect.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Isa
tawm

I think the current list of feature codes is not the ideal taxonomy for the wide range of possible purposes that GeoNames can have.

For example -
There is no way of specifying that something is a discotheque/club, or a bar, or any of the countless different types of nightlife hangouts that can be distinguished.

These kind of distinctions may not be very relevant to an organisation such as the NGA, but to the general public I think they are way more relevant than a distinction between f.e. a camp, logging camp, labor camp, mining camp, oil camp and abandoned camp...
bernard

My view on this in a nutshell

As soon as different applications/users want to use geonames data, they will ask for extension or modification of classification/taxonomy/types (whatever you want to call them). This can be endless, and end up with thousands of categories and counting. See dmoz, and what I wrote about it a few years ago at http://perso.orange.fr/universimmedia/nohi/enohip3.htm

So what we need in the long run is the ability for users to index/classify geonames features against a variety of concepts and concept schemes (this is how they are called in SKOS standard, which is used to express the feature types in the geonames ontology), and to extend those schemes in a collaborative way. Seems to me that it could be achieved through some kind of wiki-like interface, the tricky thing being to synchronize the geonames data base with this. This is an architecture to invent, but certainly the technical components are out there.
marc

Following a suggestion made by Keitz, I have added a new feature code S.LIBR for 'Library' and updated all records of featurecode S.BLDG with the string 'library' in their name to the new feature code (ca 7000).

Regards

Marc

[WWW]
tony

Minor point, but I can't query the full list of retaurants and mountains - I'm using a query and setting featureCode.
fairhair

Which feature code should I use for a preserved but unpopulated 19th century farming village. The place is kind of an open air museum so I could imagine "Museum" or "Historical site".
marc

I would tend to museum since it has an educational function like a museum. For an unpopulated village there is also the feature code 'abandoned populated place' :
http://www.geonames.org/export/codes.html#P.PPLQ

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]
PaulC

I'd like to put in a vote for L.AMUS - Amusement Park, and also ask for a code for 'Amusement Park Ride' (L.RIDE?), as discussed in another thread

Paul
PaulC

Something else that puzzled me: the following are listed under the 'S spot, building, farm' category, rather than 'R road, railroad'

RSD - railroad siding
RSGNL - railroad signal
RSTN - railroad station
RSTNQ - abandoned railroad station
RSTP - railroad stop
RSTPQ - abandoned railroad stop

I was looking for 'railroad station', and it wasn't under the 'road, railroad' category in the UI...

It could also be argued that the following make more sense under 'road/railway' (i.e. transportation) than under 'spot/building/farm':

BUSTN - Bus Station
BUSTP - Bus Stop
MTRO - metro station
PKLT - parking lot

Call me crazy, but these seem to 'belong' more logically under 'H stream/lake' than 'S spot/building/farm'

DAM - dam
DAMQ - ruined dam
DAMSB - sub-surface dam
DCKD - dry dock
DCKY - dockyard
DIKE - dike
FY - ferry
JTY - jetty
LDNG - landing
LOCK - lock(s)
LTHSE - lighthouse
MAR - marina
PIER - pier
WEIR - weir(s)
WHRF - wharf(-ves)

Seems odd to find harbor under one category, but dockyard and marina under another, for example.

Paul
marc

Hi Paul

L.AMUS is now included in the drop down UI list.

You are right there are some inconsistencies with the feature codes. This is a downside of any categorization system that an entity can only be part of one category. Another issue you have not yet mentioned is that some feature codes are pretty obscure and hardly ever used. Deprecating a couple of them would probably make sense.

Enjoy the new 'Amusement Park' feature code!

Cheers

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions Go to Page: 1, 2 Next 
Go to: