GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Request for JSON output of GTOPO30 elevation  XML
Forum Index -> General
Anonymous

URL: ws.geonames.org/gtopo30? only gives output in plain text, no JSON choice.
I plan to use this kind of service on a Google Maps mash-up for site investigation application. I can not make use of it easily if it is in plain text.
Please add JSON (with callback option) output for this service. Thanx in advance.

Best Regards,
swatchai
marc

Hi Swatchai

Here it is :
http://ws.geonames.org/gtopo30JSON?lat=47.01&lng=10.2

all our JSON services have the callback option and an option formatted for pretty printing.

Marc

[WWW]
swatchai

That's great!
Thanks again for your great works.

Best Regards,
swatchai
daveky

Hi. I was about to request both of these things. Good job I searched the forum. I would like to thank all involved for this great service!

However, I can't see how to get responses with a mime type of text/javascript and not just text/plain. Is it possible? Shouldn't it really be text/javascript as that's what the response is?

Cheers, DaveK.
marc

Hi DaveK

According to the JSON rfc the mime type should be "application/json" :

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt?number=4627

I have changed it to mime type "application/json", but I am not very happy with it. It is getting a little bit annoying to open the file in a browser and with IE I get an error message and cannot open it at all. Do you have an idea why IE doesn't allow me to open it?

Mime type "text/plain" has one big advantage that it can be easily viewed with a browser. Are there any advantages for mime type "application/json"? If not I will change it back to "text/plain".

Regards

Marc

[WWW]
daveky

application/json is to the specification (I did not know that) but as text/javascript you would at least be able to open it automatically in Firefox if not IE and it is javascript after all. As text/plain both browsers allow viewing.

I was just suggesting it for correctness. I'm not a stickler for correctness for it's own sake and I have to agree with you; it was much better as text/plain. It is useful to view the response in a browser. But then, in reality, I guess very few people would/should actually use it this way in anger!

I guess one day the mime type might make a difference (it should now, and might do to server side scripts calling your service) but as it probably doesn't changing it back is the way to go.

Thanks for you reply and all your work on this.

Cheers, D.
marc

I am glad we agree and have changed it back.

Thanks.

Marc

[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: