GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Availability and local installation  XML
Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
wonga

Hi there

I got to know this service just a few days ago. It's so cool and opens a lot of possibilities to me on localize my geotagged photos.

Availability: The service to get the nearestplace seems to be down, or at least when accessing it on http://ws.geonames.org/findNearbyPlaceName?lat=47.3&lng=9
On http://www.geonames.org/findNearbyPlaceName?lat=47.3&lng=9 however the service is working.
Is there anything to say against using the latter URL?

Local Installation:
If the data dump is available for offline use, is there also some kind of code availabe to have the services run locally in either .Net or PHP etc.?

Thanks and great work - I love it
wonga
marc

do not use the www subdomain for web services, this is not supported and will be taken down.
The ws.geonames.org subdomain is currently having problem. For the time being you can use the ws5.geonames.org domain.

Marc

[WWW]
sjs77_2

I'd like to follow wonga's second question: Could someone please provide the Code (preferrebly PHP) for generating XML data like the webservice does?
With the obviously high current load on the GeoNames servers I'd like to set up a local mirror. However, the application I use (and which I can't chance) relies on querying a HTTP server/service.

Kind regards,

Sebastian
Exactscience04

The code would be MOST helpful for offline batch processing. In my case, I need to be able to get the elevation from our DEM for a large number of locations.
Niels

Yeah, the code would be awesome and very useful!

Forum Index -> FAQ - frequently asked questions
Go to: