GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Administrative Divisions in Finland  XML
Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
McBack

I checked one thing.

Finland is actually divided into more divisions.

If for example my village, Övermark/Ylimarkku, is actually in (with language codes)

(fi) Suomi / (sv) Finland

- (fi) Länsi-Suomen lääni / (sv) Västra Finlands län
1 of 6 (fi) läänit / (sv) län
- - (fi) Pohjanmaa / (sv) Österbotten
1 of 20 (fi) maakunnat / (sv) landskap
- - - (fi) / (sv) Sydösterbottens kustregion
1 of 77 (fi) seutukunta / (sv) ekonomisk region
- - - - (fi) Närpiö / (sv) Närpes
1 of 415 (fi) kunta / (sv) kommun
- - - - - (fi) Ylimarkku / (sv) Övermark
This is the village

So actually the whole geotree should be (in finnish)

Europe
- Finland
- - Länsi Suomen lääni
- - - Pohjanmaa
- - - - Sydösterbottens kustregion
- - - - - Närpiö
- - - - - - Ylimarkku

I also noticed that the geotree contains some finnish names and some swedish names. But all places don't have both, some only have swedish names, and some only finnish. How could that be made?

I could help you with the names and places, but I don't know how.

One more thing, in the geotree in Österbotten contains Vörå, but it's now Vörå-Maxmo, and Närpes is missing. (Only checked that one, "my" village is in Närpes)
marc

Hi McBack

We have organized the administrative divisions with feature codes:
ADM1 =län (needs to be fixed, there is a thread on the geonames-google groups mailing list. Google groups is having some troubles and cannot be accessed at the moment, so I cannot post a link here.)
ADM2=landskap (seems correct too)
http://www.geonames.org/search.html?q=fi+adm2&country=FI

Further down it is different to your divisions. We have 415 ADM3, so I assume the ADM3 is missing. I have found a list here: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/ramon/nuts/lau_en.html
Do you think the lau region are the same you are referring to?

If the lau regions are correct you can help us fix this. First try to match the regions and find the missing ones. For the lat/lng you could use the average from the child regions. The lau numbers should be the admin3/4 codes. If a lot of changes are to be made then you can send me a csv file and I run it as a batch job.

Marc

[WWW]
McBack

Yeps.

ADM1 = län
ADM2 = landskap
ADM3 = kommun in my case and that is actually enough.

At the moment there is 415 ADM3 (kunnat/kommuner) in Finland so that's right too.

The xls file from europa.eu is quite good, it contains all info in level ADM2 and ADM3, but in some places most people speak finnish, and in other mostly swedish, so it's not so easy to know which should be used. I have check my data from kunnat.net (in finnish), they have information of Finland in your ADM3 level upwards, in finnish or swedish. (With population and so on.)

The the searchpage at geonames.org.
Checked Finland, and you have 7 names in level ADM1, they are actually 6. And the ADM2 level contains 20 names, that's right, but some of them are in english, some in swedish and some in finnish (the first names). In one way it would probably be best if all was finnish, because it's the main language.

What's the difference when I search with "fi adm2" and only "adm2" ? The lists are the same but different order.

I could send you some kind of list, but I don't know if I have and lat/lng info at the moment, but I can check it out.

Do you have some kind of list that could be used as a template or can I make it as I want?

Forum Index -> Administrative Divisions
Go to: