GeoNames Home | Postal Codes | Download / Webservice | About 

GeoNames Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Use of Rome vs Mockba  XML
Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
cawb

You have chosen in your city names to include Moscow as an alternative but Rome as the core name with Roma as an alternative (in many languages).

Is this a conscious decision or one of many quirks? Have you settled on a policy of which language to use in the core?

It came to my attention because I clicked your Largest cities link which listed both.

(Excuse the lazy transliteration).
[WWW]
marc

The main name should be an internationally known name. I have corrected the name for "Moscow". Anyhow, it is recommended to use the alternate name table and get the name in the language you want and not rely on which language the main name is in.

Best

Marc

[WWW]
cawb

So you seem to prefer the English language name for the main name where one exists. I think it's good to keep these things in line as much as possible, and I'm happy to work in whatever direction suits you.

You're right of course that where a specific language is available in the alternates, this is the ideal choice. For my current needs, the actual language is less important than gathering as many variations as possible.
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Discussion of GeoNames Toponyms
Go to: